This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Actual Small Things

The name of this blog is completely irrelevant to its content. It started out as a blog on which I wanted to focus on the small things in life that make you happy, but quickly changed into a sewing blog. I haven't been able to come up with a better, original name for it though. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Anyway, I made some things that could be considered quick projects, so I thought I'd make use of the blog name. These are the first two items that count for my 15:60 challenge! First up is a birthday gift for Stef: a yogamat-bag. Made out of scraps, as promised. We have two pillow covers made out of the orange IKEA fabric. I did buy the strap though. I sewed two 2 metre strips on top of eachother for extra sturdyness. I found some actual sturdy straps later on at the market, but it was priced at 4,95 a metre. Yeah, no thanks.



We practice Ashtanga Yoga, the kind of yoga that is more about physical exercise than meditation. At least for us beginners :) We're both very stiff, so sometimes we need a belt to get further into a position. This is why I made the strap of the bag detachable with two D rings as a closure, so Stef can use it during yoga as well. I tried to give it all a nice finish, using french seams and neat stitching. All he needs now is a yoga mat :)


And another loop scarf! I'd seen this fabric a couple of times at the shop, but I didn't quite know what to use it for. Something about this fabric makes me want to look at it the whole time though, so I bought half a metre for another loop scarf. I wrote before I should get into accessories more, but bracelets and such just don't work for me. I simply forget to put them on. Scarves do however, because they have an extra function which is to keep you warm. I guess I like the things I own to be functional in some way.

2 down, 13 to go!

4 comments:

  1. I particularly like the yoga mat bag and it dual purpose straps. Most clever :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was quite content with that idea myself :)

      Delete
  2. Like it. Ikea has some cool fabrics but they're usually the wrong sort of drape for whatever I happen to be looking for. I last went there years ago-it seems to me like one of those places people drop off small, annoying, snotty children they want to get rid off. And not in the room of balls either.. The scarf fabric is pretty. I've been meaning to make one your loop things but haven't managed somehow. It's freezing here so a merino jersey one would be cool I think..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you have to be lucky at Ikea. Last 3 times I went there I only bought the unbleached cotton for muslins. It's cheapest at Ikea! I don't think the loop scarf can be considered 'mine' since it's just half a metre fabric stitched in a loop :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!