This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Thrift Store Treasures #5

OK so maybe 'treasure' is a bit exaggerated, but it's the only thrift store find I have to show at the moment. And the story is longer than the changes you see here (do you see them?). I bought this shirt in Bergen, together with the crazy maxi skirt (more on that one soon). I found it in the women's section, but I think it's actually a men's shirt (Sidenote: I am totally confused by the use of the ' here. Correct or not?). It was too big obviously, but I liked the length and the buttons on the shoulder.



The first thing I did was fold the ribbed neckband inside to make it wider. The goal was to make it more feminine, but now the neckling falls directly at the bump on my shoulder. This made me realize it shouls fall left or right of the bump for the best fit. Do you see how the shirt sort of sticks out on my right shoulder at the pic below? That's because of the bump. This is not a weird bump by the way, just the regular end of my collarbone :). The idea with this shirt was to make it into a batwing shirt. I wanted to use the excess fabric of the sleeves to create gussets to place under the arms. And I did, but it didn't work out that well. I left it like that for a while, convincing myself that it had worked, but I didn't wear the shirt. So last weekend I ripped out the gussets again and just gave the shirt a slim fit.


Again, not a very spectacular outcome, but it did take me a while to get there! And at least I'll wear it like it is now. Maybe styled a bit differently. Skinny jeans, heels and a pretty scarf, perhaps?






6 comments:

  1. I think it takes courage to rip out a failed project and accept defeat. ;) And I like your new version of the shirt, even if it's not what you had originally envisioned!

    I think the ' (apostrophe) is correct because it refer to something that, in general, men might possess. So it is correct to be plural (men instead of man) but it does need the apostrophe (men's instead of mens).

    I've noticed that people have stopped using apostrophes in many words where it used to be assumed, but I was raised by a grammar teacher so I'm not sure I'm going to get away with dropping them any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's one thing I have learned from sewing it's accepting defeat :) Thanks for the grammar lesson!

      Delete
  2. I think it's much improved---good for you for keeping at it until it was "right" :).

    What Elizabeth said about the grammar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still thinking I took the sides in a bit too much. Or maybe the photos are just prettier with those misty Norwegian trees in the background.

      Delete
  3. Nice. Wrt apostrophes this is a good way to remember ;D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I like that poster! Especially because the soldiers' rifles were no match for Bob's amazing lightning pants :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!